Montclair State University, New Jersey’s second largest and fastest growing university, will again offer its unique international summer institute that focuses solely on the history and culture of Sicily and the southern Italian mainland.
Based in Taormina, this four-week program is open to undergraduate and graduate students (who have the opportunity to earn 6 credits) as well as non-students; non-students may participate as auditors or for Professional Development Credits. All participants will choose two of five courses:
- Foundations of Western Civilization focuses on the origins and development of western civilization until 1500 and pays special attention to the historical significance of Sicily and Southern Italy
- The Many Manifestations of Italian Culture includes an intensive conversational Italian language component (accommodating all levels) and provides an introduction to the history and culture of the island
- Selected Topics in Ancient History: The Archaeology of Sicily provides a general overview of Greco-Roman history and the archaeology of ancient Sicily
- Seminar in Western History: Graduate students will set up an independent schedule of readings and assignments focusing on the development of western civilization. Special attention will be given to the historical significance of Sicily and Southern Italy.
- Selected Topics in Mediterranean Archaeology: Graduate students will arrange an independent schedule of readings and assignments for an in-depth study of a specific aspect of Sicilian archaeology.
Participants will stay in a two-star hotel within walking distance of classrooms. Continental breakfast and use of the hotel’s pool are included along with a day-long excursion to Palermo/Monreale, Agrigento, Piazza Armerina, a traditional Sicilian puppet theater performance, and a farewell Sicilian dinner. Students may elect to participate in a number of optional excursions and cultural activities, including Taormina’s famed arts festival.
The cost of the 2007 program for students, which will take place from June 24 - July 23, is $3900 plus MSU tuition and fees for 6 credits. A limited number of non-students will be accepted for the program as auditors or for Professional Development Credit. Non-students pay $3900 plus auditing and administrative fees; those wishing to earn Professional Development Credit should add $10 per course.
For more information, please visit the program's web site at http://www.sicilystudyabroad.org or contact Wendy Gilbert-Simon of MSU’s Global Education Center at 973-655-4185 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Education Center
Montclair State University
22 Normal Avenue
Montclair, New Jersey 07043
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)