Although humans share 99.5% of their genes, there may be much variation that is interesting, even profitable, in the remaining 0.5%. Companies now market race-specific medications, vitamins, and cosmetics. Competing laboratories offer genetic analyses for ancestry and forensics. Will this commodification of racial science help the targeted populations and society at large? Should this commercialization of racial difference be endorsed or sanctioned? Drawing on history, anthropology, law, ethics, medicine, economics, and sociology, this conference explores the promise and pitfalls of the new business of race and science.
The conference is free and open to the public. Conference organizers request that you signal your intention to attend by preregistering. Send an e-mail with name, affiliation, and address to email@example.com. Additional information, including the conference program, is available at
Gregory Michael Dorr, Ph.D.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 253-4041 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Visit the website at http://web.mit.edu/csd
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)