The 195-th anniversary from A.I.Herzen birth and 210-th anniversary of Herzen University, named after him, create many-sided complex of themes, problems and plots, relating to scientific and philosophical heritage of A.I. Herzen, his role and place in Russian and European history as well as in history of educated people of Russian society, mutual influence of Russian and European social ideas, perspectives of liberalism, civilization choice of Russia.
The intersection of Herzen anniversary with the anniversary of one of the leading Russian centers for teacher education – Pedagogical university, named after A.I. Herzen, gives an excellent cause and broad opportunities to consider these questions in context of modern humanitarian education, its fundamental problems and perspectives of development.
The following questions are planned to be discussed on the conference:
• Enlightenment and People
• Educated man in Russia: private and university education
• A. Herzen in Russian literature and culture
• A. Herzen and stylistics of Russian literary language
• « My Past and Thoughts»: events, ideas, people
• « My Past and Thoughts»: historic heritage and literary masterpiece
• «Tearing the masks of all kinds» in Herzen publicizm.
• Human faces of European and Russian revolution (Bakunin, Blanc, Garibaldi, Herwegh, Mazzini, Marx, Michle , Nechayev, Ogarev, Proudhon)
• A. Herzen about mass culture and mass society
• A. Herzen about intercultural connections (tolerance) and Russian chauvinism
• Fates of Russian emigration
• National characters : description, estimate, importance
• A. Herzen and Russian liberalism: development, problems, perspectives
• A. Herzen and revolution nihilism
• A. Herzen: bitter experience of confessional personology
Please, send texts of your papers ( up to 10 000 signs) and short CV by
Deadline: February 15, 2007.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)