Call for Papers: American History and Culture area
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture / American Culture Associations
28th Annual Conference, February 14-17, 2007
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The 2007 SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference will be held at the Hyatt Regency in vibrant downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico, just steps from historic Route 66. Further details about the conference are available at http://www.h-net.org/~swpca.
Sessions are now forming for the "American History and Culture" area. Email 250-word abstracts for individual presentations - or proposals for full sessions - to Kelli Shapiro (Dept. of American Civilization, Brown University) at Kelli_Shapiro@brown.edu. Please include a current CV or bio. Submissions are due November 15, 2006.
Professors, independent scholars, teachers, and professionals are encouraged to participate. Graduate students are particularly welcome at the conference, which offers awards for the best graduate papers.
Below are some suggestions (non-inclusive) for presentation / session topics related to the broad area of American History and Culture. (Each presentation should have a historical focus and should emphasize culture.)
* Public history, collective memory, historic preservation, memorials / monuments, and historical sites
* Consumer culture and advertising
* Leisure, public amusements, travel, and tourism
* Car culture, the American road / roadside America, and Route 66
* Urban studies, architecture, city planning, cultural geography, and cultural landscapes
* Stardom and celebrity culture
* Youth culture / subcultures, children's culture, senior culture, etc.
* Visual culture, art, design, and performing arts
* American cultural history in general, specific eras / periods, etc.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)