Call for Papers
3rd Duke-UNC Graduate Student Conference on Islamic Studies
Conference Dates: April 14-15, 2006 Submission Deadline: March 10, 2006
(This is an extension to the previously announced deadline of February 15)
This conference aims to explore ways in which the issue of translation figures in theories, methodologies, ethnographic and historiographic dimensions of the study of Islam and Muslim societies. We invite paper as well as panel
proposals that deal with the following questions, which are not exhaustive:
* How do Islamicate cultural and intellectual
discourses engage in translation both within and
* How does the analytic of translation shape
comparative studies on Islam?
* What role does translation play in the exegesis,
reception and transmission of Islamic textual
* What kind of translation strategies are embedded
in contemporary discourses on Islam?
Suggested topics include:
* translation in the early centuries of Islam
* translating Islamic normativities across time and
* translating the Quran in content and form
* translation in Western scholarship on Islam
* Muslim modernism and the translation of
* translation and Muslim networks
* theories of translation in Sufism
* ethics, law and politics in translation
The conference will proceed in an interactive workshop format. We expect that those invited to present papers will remain for the duration of the conference in order to engage the work of other participants. Proceedings will be held on the Duke University campus in Durham, NC, USA.
To apply, please send 1) a proposal up to five-hundred words 2) a paper title and 3) a CV to Cate Mills (email@example.com). The deadline for submissions
is March 10, 2006.
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)