SECURITY ASSISTANCE: U.S. AND INTERNATIONAL HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES
Organizers: The United States Army Combat Studies Institute, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and the US Army Training and Doctrine Command, Fort Monroe, Virginia.
The Combat Studies Institute will host a symposium entitled “Security Assistance: U.S. and International Historical Perspectives.” This conference is designed to present and discuss historical perspectives on all aspects of Security Assistance. While much attention will be paid to the U.S. military’s historical practice of security assistance operations and policies, the symposium seeks to include discussions of the role of other agencies of the U.S. Government in security assistance as well as the international experience with security assistance programs.
The symposium will be held at the Frontier Conference Center, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 8-10 August 2006, and will include a mixture of guest speakers, panel sessions, and general discussions.
The Combat Studies Institute invites presentation and panel proposals for this symposium. CSI plans to publish the proceedings of the symposium in an edited volume within four months after the adjournment of the conference.
Projected topics include:
The American Experience
• Training and Equipping of Indigenous Forces
• The Role of Advisors
• US and DoD Organization for Security Assistance
• Conventional vs. Special Purpose Forces in Security Assistance
• The Role of Security Assistance in Counterinsurgency
• Information, Psychological and Civil-Military Operations in Security Assistance Programs
• Host Nations and U.S. Security Assistance
• Security Assistance: The Experiences of France, Soviet Union/Russia, China and other Nations
• Security Assistance in Latin America and Africa
• Cultural Aspects of Security Assistance
• Security Assistance During the Cold War
• U.S. Experiences in Korea, Vietnam, El Salvador and Others
• Security Assistance in the Middle East, Africa and Asia
• Observations from the GWOT and other Recent Security Assistance Operations
Please send short proposals (approximately 300 words) for individual papers or panels to CSIconference06@leavenworth.army.mil. Or contact CSI symposium planners at (913) 684-2139 or Combat Studies Institute, Attn: CSI Symposium, 201 Sedgwick Avenue, Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027.
The Combat Studies Institute will provide the following travel support for all speakers and panel participants: round trip air fare within the continental United States, lodging, and per diem.
The closing date for proposals is 21 April 2006.
Please send short proposals (approximately 300 words) for individual papers or panels to CSIconference06@leavenworth.army.mil. Or contact CSI symposium planners at (913) 684-2139 or Combat Studies Institute, Attn: CSI Symposium, 201 Sedgwick Avenue, Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send comments and questions to H-Net
Webstaff. H-Net reproduces announcements that have been submitted to us as a
free service to the academic community. If you are interested in an announcement
listed here, please contact the organizers or patrons directly. Though we strive
to provide accurate information, H-Net cannot accept responsibility for the text of
announcements appearing in this service. (Administration)