Announcements Editorial PolicyAll announcements made on H-Net must meet the following important qualifications and conditions:
- Although H-Net makes reasonable efforts to screen postings that it publishes, it assumes no liability for the content of announcements published at the H-Net Announcements service. Questions about specific postings should be submitted directly to the author of the announcement. All postings are subject to H-Net's policies regarding discrimination and suitability to H-Net's mission. H-Net reserves the right to decline to publish a posting for any reason.
- Submissions made to the online Announcements System are automatically sent to H-Announce; Any announcment made over H-Announce will also be archived on the website, therefore it is necessary to post your announcement using only one of these distribution methods.
- H-Net reserves the right to edit extremely long announcements for clarity and concision, and to ask for changes and clarifications. H-Net will post reminders and re-posts of announcements, but asks that the authors of these messages time their submissions carefully to make the most effective use of our service.
- Announcements of new web sites or internet resources are welcome, and are most likely to be posted when their noncommercial, academic, scholarly, or educational content is self-evident from the announcement and at the site.
- H-Net does not guarantee posting of Announcements: time differences, variations in the rotations of duty editors, and the vagaries of the internet mail routing system can cause delays in postings.
H-ANNOUNCE is not a job posting service. The following types of postings are considered to be professional employment notices that will be rejected at H-Announce and must be published at H-Net's Job Guide:
- full-time (>30 hours per week) AND
- compensated (whether hourly or salaried) AND
- position is of at least 6 months duration
Exception: full-time support solely for dissertation research can be posted to H-Announce.
The function or funding source of employment is not relevant; if the position involves full-time compensation for professional research, teaching, or service, whether it's a scholarship, fellowship, fixed-term, tenure-line, consultancy, H-Net will only publish it through the H-Net Job Guide.
Types of job postings that can be published at H-Announce:
- part-time (<30 hours/week)
- less than six months duration
- volunteer positions
- scholarships or studentships that provide financial aid while enrolled in the employer's degree program
Postings that mix the above criteria in one message (announcing full- and part- time openings, for example) will be rejected by H-Announce.
Posting is always at the discretion of staff and H-Announce editors.
- Publishers interested in promoting new works should contact the H-Net Reviews Office, to arrange for reviews of such works. On occasion, editors post lists of new books or recent publications; but they do not send out bookjacket blurbs, endorsements, or similar promotional literature about publications.